Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Controlling Order of Events

Robert31395
7 - Meteor

I have a process that I have divided up into 7 steps that execute sequentially. The output from each step is used as the input for the next step and a final output is generated after the last step.

I would like to create a user interface where the user could not only select which steps to execute (sequentially) but also to be able to determine the order in which they are executed. For example, maybe they would execute all 7 steps 1-7 sequentially but another user may want to only execute step 6 then step 3 and then step 5.

After the final step, an output is generated.

Each step populates the same two fields. Each successive step populates the same fields, but will not overwrite any existing data in that field which is why the order that the steps are executed in makes a difference.

I am familiar how to do this with VBA Excel coding and userforms where I would use list boxes and allow the user to specify which steps and the order in which to execute them. I am trying to migrate this to an Alteryx platform. 

Thank You

1 REPLY 1
NicholasM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @Robert31395,

I believe what you are trying to create will end up using the concept of Chained Apps in Alteryx. 

This will allows you to makes steps 1-7 dependent each other and update the user interface based off the previous steps, Here is some helpful documentation on how to set these up inside Alteryx. 

Interactive lesson on the Topic  

Knowledge Base Article 

Video on Academy on Chained Applications 

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Labels