Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Control parameters not updating via workflow configuration

King
5 - Atom

I have a number of batch macros using various control parameters, and when debugging/developing these I would like update these values by changing the "constants" in the workflow configuration tab (as this seems the most straightforward option). I thought this was as simple as updating the constants and running the workflow:

Untitled.jpg

However the values are not being updated by my "update values" action tool - when I run the workflow nothing updates and it continutes to pass through the original value:

Untitled.png

I've attached a small example and would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong!

3 REPLIES 3
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi

try deleting the connection and reconnecting. I'm wondering how to be # 2 the wireless can must be # 1

[]

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @King

You are right in the fact that using 'constants' is the most straightforward approach to debugging Macros.

You may be doing this already, but just to double check, in order for the workflow to take the values from the constants, rather than from what you have 'hard coded' in your Input Data tool, you'll need to run it in 'Debug' mode.

Open View > Interface Designer > Click on the Magic Wand Icon > Open Debug

clipboard_image_0.png

When I did this using your macro, it opened the file below...

clipboard_image_1.png

...which is the value that I have in my Workflow options (see below).

clipboard_image_3.png

Another thing that I noticed is that you are using relative paths in your macro and the Action Tool is configured to replace a specific string (the file name). The problem with this is that when you run this workflow in a Debug mode, another temporary workflow will be created (with all values changed with the Constants that you will have set up), and by default that new workflow will have as its base directory "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin". Having set up relative paths in your Input Data tool, will mean that the execution in Debug mode will try and load the 'test_a_value.txt file' in that same directory.

If you look at the error that you are getting, a file cannot be found in the C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin directory.

To get my screenshots above, I unchecked the option "Replace specific string" in the Action tool and used an absolute path in my constant.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other question!

Best,

Giuseppe

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@King,

adding on my previous comment, when debugging an App (rather than a macro) the most straightforward way to use testing parameters is to insert them directly in the Interface Designer > Test View (screenshot below).

When you click on Open Debug, a new workflow will be generated with the tools configured with the parameters you inserted directly into the interface.

clipboard_image_0.png

In case you need to test more complex interfaces, you don’t have to insert all testing values manually, but you can save them into a .yxwv file and import them from a file at a later stage (Save and Open buttons).

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

Labels