Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Contra Workflow

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

I am new to Alteryx and with help from some good members of this community, we come up with the below workflow:

clipboard_image_0.png

The intention is to have a workflow which will look for positive and negative numbers which net to zero and remove them from the data if certain conditions are met. For example amount in one of the rows is -10000 and in another row it is 10000

These conditions are that both rows will have:

1. the same business unit code

2. the same location code

3. the same department code

4. the same project code

5. the same PO 2

Is there any chance that someone can help fine tune the attached workflow to do what I want it to do?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nuha

9 REPLIES 9
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @CeesayN ,

Please include  input data file  and  sample  expected  output .

JReid
9 - Comet

Will the matches always be 1-1 or could there be 1-n or n-n? 

If it's always 1-1 I'd recommend a batch macro, if it's 1-n or n-n then you may want something a bit more powerful.

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

@JReid 

Thanks for looking at my query and apologies for the late reply, I was off ill yesterday. The matches will not always be 1:1, there will be instances where you have more than one row matching the criteria but I want the offset to happen when the first condition is met.

Regards

Nuha 

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

@JReid 

Sorry, in response to your specific question, I think it is n-n if I understand you well because you do not always know which numbers will be offset against others.

Regards

Nuha

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

@benakesh 

Please find attached the input file. I am not able to get the expected output without the solution as this will involve a lot of manual work which is what I am trying to avoid at all cost.

The expected output should ensure that where there are positive and negative amounts of the same value in the data, these to be offset where the given criteria is met.

Hope this helps

JReid
9 - Comet

@CeesayN try the attached workflow. It takes some time to run, but what it does is 1-1 matches, and then takes the remaining items and feeds them through a batch macro that uses the optimization tool set to maximize the number of records that meet the parameter Amount = 0.00.

The first step of the 1-1 matching is really just to speed up the n-n matching as each iteration of the macro can add significant time.

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

@JReid 

Thank you so very much for looking into this for me, really appreciate it. It appears that your version of Alteryx is newer than mine as I am on version 19.1, which prevented me from opening your workflow.

I will try with our IT to update my version to the most recent one 19.2 maybe? and try using the workflow you created.

Regards

Nuha 

JReid
9 - Comet

@CeesayN 

This should work on 19.1, but it does require the predictive package to use the optimization tool.

CeesayN
7 - Meteor

@JReid 

Thank you. I am trying to get an upgrade and will let you know when I am able to open the file and use it.

Many thanks once again for your help.

Regards

Nuha

Labels