community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Continuosly locked out of Salesforce

Meteoroid

I'm using the connector for Salesforce Input and I am frustrated as Alteryx keeps locking me out of Salesforce.

I have a workflow that contains several connectors. However, whenver my password expires in Salesforce, they send me a new Security token so I have to edit all the connectors individually as there is no Alias for SFDC that I am aware of.

But after I reset my password and I open an old workflow, Alteryx seems to send the old password and security token before I can even change them so by the time I input the correct credentials I am already locked out. I then have to wait 15 minutes to unlock the account, and try again.

My questions are:

1) Can I manage the SFDC credentials in a centralized way, as the alias repository?

2) If not, how can I prevent Alteryx from sending outdated credentials when I open an old workflow? I read that disabling the Auto Configure would help but it hasnt. I've locked myself 3 times today.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Have you considered creating a macro that calls your salesforce connector and passes it the password via a read to a single static file.  This would act as an alias for you.  Just a thought...

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Meteoroid

no, I'm fairly new to Alteryx but that sounds like a good idea. Do you know any links or resources that could explain how to do that?

you might check youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD8E9e0GykY) for a sample on how to create a macro.  I'd be happy to setup a webex with you tomorrow (Thursday) and create it with you.

if you're interested in solving this yourself with my guidance, please PM me with your email and what time would work for you.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Sr. Community Content Manager
Sr. Community Content Manager

Perhaps the easiest thing you can do is simply disconnect from the internet before opening a workflow with tons of expired tokens, which should give you the chance to go in and change them. @MarqueeCrew 's macro idea also sounds interesting. I've attached an app that takes a workflow that contains a Salesforce Input tool with the correct credentials and applies that password and security token to other workflows that have old credentials. It hasn't been thoroughly tested so use caution before trying the "Overwrite" method. Hope this helps.

To add on to what Neil has recommended and has provided a sample app, in my case there were two SFDC connectors one for source and another one for target. When replacing the credentials, it was not like in workflow all source connectors will have source related credentials because of some business scenarios. One example of this was delta detection, where I had to put the target again as a source to the join transformation, and only output the outer join records which are present in the actual source and not in target. To achieve this, following was done as modification to the app Neil has shared. A dummy workflow was created to have source and target connectors. This workflow even if ran by accident would not have any effect as there were relevant filters in place. Two directories were created, one as 'Source' which contained all the source/actual workflows and another one 'Target' which was empty. Dummy workflow was placed in a separate directory. Using the logic present in the app, two set credentials were extracted - URL, Username, Password, SecurityToken, CustomerKey, CustomerSecret. This was done to make the credentials transformation generic, so that irrespective of Salesforce current or deprecated versions are used the same code should be able to handle it. There was one more modification to the app in terms of how to replace the connection details in the actual workflow. The app contains a step to replace say username making use of some regular expression, but in my case it was more than one set of credentials. The approach used was to segregate which credentials to use based on the table naming convention in the actual workflow. Generally during moving data from one system to another, the naming convention might differ from source to target. To form a group as in which connector details would be replaced with what credentials from the dummy workflow, a formula was written based on the naming convention. For e.g. when the line in the xml code denotes a table named 'wc_' mark it as say 1. Else if denotes only a table mark it as say 2 Else mark it as 0. This would result in demarcating the lines having table names with some numbers. Next, again a formula was written, to mark the row with previous (row-1) row value in case it is 0, else leave it as is. This will have the effect of marking all the rows following 'table' with the mark available against the one where 'table'(/'tablename') occurs - which was achieved in above step. This will carry on till the EOF or next occurrence of 'table'. The effect of this was bundling, i.e. starting from the table tag and based on naming convention a number was tagged to all following rows, till EOF was reached or another table tag is reached. Post this similar logic mentioned in the app was used with a filter on the new formula column being either 1 or 2. Based on the requirement/configuration, occurrence of 1/2 can be replaced with source/target credentials or vice versa. Hope this helps and would take the app a step further. Thanks, Rohit
Meteor

I'm having the same issue.  As this thread is a year old, are there any more recent solutions or developments related to the password reset/locking? 

Meteoroid

no, I am not aware of any other solution.

Highlighted
Meteor

Check Jordan Barker's The 'How to Guide' to the Salesforce Connector 

Password Expiry

If you're password expires in Salesforce you will receive a pop up error message in Alteryx. Currently there is no Alias option for the Salesforce Connector therefore if you're password expires you will have to manually go and change it in each connector. This is something we are looking at internally to try and create an Alias for similar to that available with the database connections. 

For the time being the easiest alternative is to have your salesforce admin create a generic login and set this password to never expire. If this is not an option you can go to User Settings > Advanced > Disable Auto Config and this will allow you to change the password in your salesforce connectors without getting locked out and the error message popping up.

I chose to disable the Auto Config

Francois

Asteroid

Another question regarding the Salesforce connector related to this thread:

The connector encrypts the password and token, which keeps them secret, but it does not prevent someone with access to a workflow from logging in as the user who's credentials are stored in the connector.

I have been trying to leave those fields blank, or put dummy data in them and then pass the true values in by putting the connector in a macro and using a text box for user input.

It doesn't work if the connector isn't already able to connect with the credentials it has stored.

Any ideas on how to handle this? Must we simply accept that the workflow is an open door? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Labels