Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Contains plus Previous Row

bsheremeta
7 - Meteor

Hello, I have the following data in the column txt

"5

55."

I need to filter through the data and obtain the following: (so basically every row before the data with the period)

"5

55."

I use Multi-row formula and type as an expression:

IIF(CONTAINS([txt],"."), [Row-1:txt] , Null())

But not getting correct results.

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @bsheremeta 

Here's an approach you could use with the multirow formula tool, essentially I used the tool to identify instances where the value had a period, or the row below had a period and flagged them. Then from there I just filtered on the flag.

Ignore the first sample tool, I had to put some text in the text input tool because the numbers kept defaulting to numeric data types and losing the decimal.

Luke_C_0-1626810712836.png

JoaoLeiteV
10 - Fireball

Hello @bsheremeta,

You can use a Formula tool to add a column that'll check if you should get the data or not. First, create the column with a "YES" or any other word if the data contains a period. Then, using a multi-row formula, check if the next row has a period, if it does, also set it as a "YES". Finally, just filter the data.

JoaoLeiteV_0-1626810924868.png

Hope this helps!

Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Hi!

It's Alteryx & there is a thousand ways to do any one thing, so I'm sure there is a statement you could use to accomplish this, I'm just not sure what it is haha. If you are waiting for feedback to accomplish something though, the way I would attack this is below:

1.JPG

I would use the Record ID tool on your input data, then a filter to grab any of the records that contain the decimal, then use a Formula tool on those records, creating a new ID field where you take the records record id & subtract 1. You can then use this new ID to match to the other records that fell out of the first filter. I added a sort to give you your original order back & then used the Select to drop the Record ID field. Hope this helps!

Labels