Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to a folder to read the input file

Adityasa
7 - Meteor

Instead of directly using a file as an input to a workflow, I am trying to connect to a shared folder named 'Current' that at any given time will have only one excel file with a predetermined structure. For instance, the file name could be FTE_Nov2020. I plan to move the older files (FTE_Oct2020, FTE_Sep2020, etc.) to an Archive folder. How do I connect it to the 'Current' folder, so as to use the only file in that folder to be used as an input to a workflow I have already designed?

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Adityasa ,

Will those excel files have the same sheet name? If yes, you can use a wildcard to read them. Assuming that the file path when you connect to a specific file is:

G:/Your_project/another_subfolder/Readthis.xlsx

you can swap the name of the file with an asterisk, so 

G:/Your_project/another_subfolder/*.xlsx

That will read all excel files within that directory, but if the sheet names change for every file you keep there that won't work.

The alternative would be a Directory tool feeding into a dynamic input tool. In the Dynamic Input tool, you should define a template file and then you can set it to read a list of data sources and change the entire file path

Screenshot 2021-02-12 080858.jpg

The other solution would be a batch macro, but I think that would be an overkill for that problem. I believe the easiest solution is the first one suggested above, so if you manually copy and paste that file in that drive, just make sure every time it has a consistent sheet name.

Hope that helps, please feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,

Angelos

Adityasa
7 - Meteor

Thanks. The second option you mentioned worked

Labels