Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to Oracle OBIEE Respository Data

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

I'm fairly new to Alteryx and our team uses OBIEE and has done years of transforming data to sanctioned Oracle OBIEE repository layers. I would like to be able to connect directly to the OBIEE repositories rather then trying to recreating everything in Alteryx and connecting directly to the db.

Has anyone had success or have any tips on how to connect directly to OBIEE repositories?

Dan

7 REPLIES 7
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @danielreedsmith

I've never seen it done but I found this in the Oracle documentation: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E25054_01/bi.1111/e16364/odbc_data_source.htm#CIABFJBA

Sounds like that driver allows you to pick a repository to connect to. 

Digan
Alteryx
danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

Thank you! This at least gives us a direction to try. I touched base with our Technical lead at Alteryx and they suggested the same thing.

If we can make it work I'll share with the group!

JohnSt
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@danielreedsmith - any luck connecting to and reading from the OBIEE RPD using the method?

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

Nope, we have found a little success with running the query in OBIEE then looking at the logs for the query that OBIEE created and using that in the input tool to bring in the data directly from the oracle database.

That's about the best we have made work to this point.

Dan

Ninja64
7 - Meteor

I'm also trying to get data out of OBIEE.  I found this today although not sure if it is an option for you or if it would work. 

https://www.clearpeaks.com/obiee-data-api/

DmtCoj
7 - Meteor

Hi Daniel,

Did you have any luck for using OBIEE as an input into the workflow?

Thanks.

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

Nope, but as a work around we took two approaches. First is if the data fields are the same and its just periodic updates of the data I built a view of the data I needed off of the Oracle DB to just connect to. We backed in all the transformation we do in the repository layer into the view so the data was the same and that worked. Second option is build in your transformations into the Query part of the input tool and connect directly to the Oracle DB. We have a mirror BCP environment so there isn't a performance concern on the production OBIEE server and it overcomes the enterprise OBIEE limits of the number records you can pull. 

Its clunky but its a functional work around. 

Dan

Labels