Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to Multiple Sheets at Once

ignas
8 - Asteroid

Hello

I tried to repeat steps in the vidoe, but I get the error:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Connecting-to-Multiple-Sheets-at-Once/ta-p/8287...

Could anybody help me to solve the issue. I cannot understand why it does not work for me as I repeat exactly the same as in the first example.

Please see the attachments

11 REPLIES 11
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Hi @ignas,

It's not working b/c the schema of the sheets is different.  If you follow the directions on this post, you'll get the desired result.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/ta-p/20480

jm

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Another option would be to download the CReW macros pack from Adam Riley's website (see below).  The Wildcard XLSX Input tool easily accomplishes this.

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

XLSX Wild Card Input.PNGXLSX Wild Card Input - Result.PNG

ignas
8 - Asteroid

Hey @john_miller9

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I do not know what you mean that the schema of the sheets is different?

I took the first example from the video. Maybe you can tell me what it is exactly wrong?

The example that you sent is for files. The video example is for sheets. In the video they use only two Dynamic Input and Input data tools.

Thank you a lot for the help.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Hi @ignas

Have you tried the CReW macros I linked?  That will quickly solve this problem (and also has many additional useful tools).

ignas
8 - Asteroid

Hey @john_miller9

I really do appreciate you helping me to solve the issue. Could we just concentrate into the solution displayed in the video`? I know that there are other solutions which work, but I am  just curious what I am doing wrong than shown in the vidoe? You can see the attached files.

Thanks for helping.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Hi @ignas,

In the video, you'll see that when following the steps, if a sheet doesn't fit the template (the schema is different - fewer or more/different fields) then that sheet is skipped in the union.  So you aren't doing anything wrong, it's just a limitation of that particular method.  That is why I recommended installing the crew macros. 

The other option is you can drag the file to your canvas and connect to each sheet individually and add a union tool after that.

Multiple Sheets - Manual.PNG

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@ignas, I apologize for a tardy response as I was away. I hope @john_miller9's explanation made sense to you. The schema has to be matching between the sheets. When we say schema, it's a fancy name for how the excel sheet/table is structured. A schema refers to the number of columns and the names of the columns themselves. If two sheets do not have the same number of fields and the fields are not named the same between the two, they will fail.  

ignas
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot for both of you. Now I got it.

haider
5 - Atom

@JoeM doesn't your answer imply that the "Connecting to Multiple Sheets at Once" tutorial is incorrect? It actually claims/shows that any sheet deviating from the base schema will be dropped/not processed. 

Labels