Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Connect and download a Sharepoint Excel File

ISUGraber
8 - Asteroid

I have a link to an Excel File that is currently stored on our Sharepoint folder.  I also have access to the folder that it is in and can move around in it but I can't seem to download the file automatically either through Power Automate or Alteryx. 

I connected the Sharepoint List connector but I didn't see the file when I did that (it also didn't show any file names which I thought was odd). 

This is Sharepoint 365. 

I also tried using HTTP but didn't have any success. 

Has anyone done this?  Is this possible with Alteryx?  I figure as cloud computing becomes bigger and bigger that this would be more in demand.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Shodhan
5 - Atom

Hi Vijay,

Just curious to know if you were able to upload the files back to SharePoint site? If yes, can you share the steps.

Regards,

Shodhan

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey all, its great to see more people talking about this. I have also been using SharePoint and Alteryx together of late. 

We are not yet on version 2021.3 where the new sharpoint tools from the Gallery are useful but if you are check them out.

I am using 2020.3 so I went for the linked files method via one drive locally. This is absolutely instant. We are writing up pdf files to SharePoint folders as part of a workflow.

Great sharing all. Its great to read around and know what different environments offer.

#Alteryxrocks
Vijuzy
8 - Asteroid

Hi Shodhan,

We ware not able to upload files back to SharePoint site using any method which can develop in Alteryx,  we ended up using Azure function (which I don't have much details) to upload the files, we invoke that function from Alteryx using CURL method.

I also tried to use new Alteryx SharePoint file tool available newer version of Alteryx, but my company SharePoint authentication methods were not support that tool.

Regards,

Vijay

Shodhan
5 - Atom

Thanks Vijay for your reply

barnap03
8 - Asteroid

I tried this workflow but I get stuck when calling the get file list SharePoint Web Service. The make SharePoint request returns successfully

barnap03_0-1643129000055.png

However, when I pass it on to parse the JSON it returns null data. I'm suspecting it's because of my download data but can't figure out what's wrong with it.

What does the download data look like when the workflow runs successfully? And why would be my download data different, when I have files in my SharePoint folder? Any pointer why it might be going wrong will be appreciated! Thanks!

KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

Hello @barnap03 
I use this method to download files from SharePoint. I do not get a DownloadData field, but I do get DownloadHeaders. Do you have your Download Tool set to save the file? Also, make sure your download URL ends with $Value as this indicates the file is to be downloaded rather opened.

SPDownloadTool.jpg

barnap03
8 - Asteroid

Hi @KP_DML , thanks for your reply! Actually, my workflow is failing at a previous step when building the download url and save path for the file download request.

barnap03_4-1643143566520.png

The error is clear that the server relative url and name values don't exist and I believe it's because the previous steps return null. Step 1 generates download data and download headers successfully but then step 2 parses the download data and this is where I am stuck as it returns null impacting all subsequent steps.

barnap03_3-1643143185546.png

As I mentioned in the previous post, I think the problem is with the download data but not sure what step 2 is expecting to parse it.

barnap03_1-1643142698089.png

KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

Hello @barnap03,

I used the workflow I had posted in this thread on 1/24/2020 and added my SharePoint information. Note I am using SharePoint 365 in the MS cloud. I was able to retrieve the list and download files. SavePath gets a / appended, but this does not seem to affect save functionality. It should be checking and appending a backslash, rather than forward slash, as needed and can be fixed in Tool #8.

I am including screenshots of my SharePoint site and configuration settings. Fiddler is a great tool to see the API calls that Alteryx is making behind the scenes.

barnap03
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @KP_DML! I am using the workflow from the thread and the configuration settings seem to be correct as well. I will try to install Fiddler to see if I'm able to narrow down the issue. If you don't mind, would you be able to send me a screenshot (or a snippet of it) of your download data?

barnap03_0-1643224803723.png

psubramanian
7 - Meteor

Hi @barnap03 ,

I am facing a similar issue as yours. I am getting the below error HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden, does that mean anything to you? Help would be appreciated.

psubramanian_0-1668559056047.png

Labels