Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connect alteryx to tableau Data Soruces

Celiaperez
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I have several data sources in Tableau server  with an automated extract  (every morning at 7 a.m.). I was wondering if it is possible to connect alteryx with this Tableau Server Data sources.

Is it possible to configure a new data Connection or something similar?

As I need the updated info every morning. or is there any other way to automate in alteryx without using alteryx server? 

Many thanks in advanced 

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You cannot connect Alteryx to .tde, .tds or .hyper files, this is a restriction from Tableau and is not an Alteryx problem, it simply isn't possible for any software to connect to these types of datasources.

You say that the Tableau Server is creating these extracts. They must be connected to a datasource themselves in order to create that extract, why not use Alteryx to connect to the underlying DB rather than the extract?

Ben

Celiaperez
5 - Atom

Hi, many thanks for the quick response,

I can connect alteryx to the underlying DB without any problem but if i do that I need to automate the workflow so it creates a table (or overwrite it when created) every day.

I would like to do that automatization using alteryx designer - not alteryx server -  (instead of running the workflow manually everyday as it can lead to human error - for example that one day I forget to run it).

Is there any way to program a workflow to run everyday at the same time just using alteryx designer? 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

There are two ways to schedule workflows to run, either through Alteryx Server (as you know), or Alteryx Scheduler, which is an additional cost on top on your desktop license. Alteryx Scheduler sits on your local machine so still needs your computer to be on in order to schedule your work.

You cannot use command line, or any other external script to trigger the workflow to run without the scheduler add-on.

I'd suggest you contact your Alteryx Account Manager to discuss this option.

Ben

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I use Windows Task Manager on the Alteryx server to schedule workflows. In some workflows I use a run command tool to run a bat file full of tabcmds that refresh extracts. More recently I've been using the publish to tableau server tool to republish instead of refresh tableau data sources.

Labels