Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connect Alteryx Designer to Excel in SharePoint in Office 365

balajilolla1
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to connect to an excel file in sharepoint in office 365. However, when I enter the address in Sharepoint connector in Alteryx Designer, I am getting an error "Root not found". How can I connect to an excel file on Sharepoint?

27 REPLIES 27
mbirai
5 - Atom

I have the same problem. Any luck with solution yet?

Navjot1
5 - Atom

Hi T_Willinis

Thank you sharing the tip. i have got few queries related to same issue:

1. I am not able to see "View in File Explorer" under all documents. All I can see is  as image attached.

Picture1.png

2.  you use input tool to connect to sharepoint after  you have prepared the filepath. Do you have to sync the sharepoint site to your computer to use this link?

mayankagruce
7 - Meteor

It worked for me pretty well. It will save my lot of time to upload and download data from SP site/

Learkl
5 - Atom

Do you know if this will work in MS Edge?

Probal
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the above solution @T_Willins.

However, while trying to access the file using the method mentioned above, I am getting a file not found error although I am able to view the contents and sheets names in the Configuration window.

Can you please guide me about the possible reason for this and how to work around this?

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Probal,

This doesn't work as well as it used to for a couple of reasons.  First, Microsoft Explorer is no longer supported and doesn't work well (or at all) with the new versions of SharePoint.  If you have the ability to use OneDrive (see below in this string) I have found this useful in accessing files from SharePoint for bringing into workflows.  This doesn't work well with Server, however, as the OneDrive would need to be set up in the Server location with the correct access.  I am still looking for a better solution, but if you are using SharePoint as a file repository then absent an as yet to be created SharePoint File Input tool OneDrive has been the best solution.

NIK7GUPT
7 - Meteor

Hi @T_Willins , thankyou for this useful article. However i can able to load .xlsx and .csv file(Both Contains 15k Records) in alteryx desktop through sharepoint , but could not be able to load .csv or .xlsx file(Having 20 Lakhs record) because of error "The file exceed size limit and cannot be saved". I knew there is an excel limit to read or write data in .xlsx format is around ~ 11 lakhs, but there is no limit for .csv file to read or write. Same .csv file i have downloaded from share point and it ran perfectly in alteryx.

Could you please help me to troubleshoot this error.

Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!

Mark3000
6 - Meteoroid

It appears no. I tried in Edge and IE, and it only works in IE. 

CharudattaChousalkar
6 - Meteoroid

API Download Solution:

Syncing Sharepoint excel files to your one drive can be a good option but for that your one drive has to be synched before workflow runs and for that it has to be ON for syncing. I was able to develop a workflow to download sharepoint excel files using API download process..

1. You need to first go to sharepoint site and generate client ID, client secret and tenant ID details to generate Authorization details Access token, Bearer). Follow this link for more details: (80) How To Test SharePoint Online REST API Using Postman - YouTube.

2. Then Add these details along with sharepoint site, folder, file details and command to download as shown in below screenshot. 

CharudattaChousalkar_0-1625560397680.png

Workflow steps:

sp_api.PNG

3. Convert column and value columns into different columns (header: column fields, 1st row: value fields) with cross tab

4. First filter:

CharudattaChousalkar_1-1625560702735.png

5. and 2nd filer:

CharudattaChousalkar_2-1625560758361.png

6. First API Download, generate Access token and Bearer (Using json parsing)

CharudattaChousalkar_3-1625573332820.png

7. Once authenticated, you can download list of files with second api call with below command

GET https://{site_url}/_api/web/GetFolderByServerRelativeUrl('/Folder Name')/Files (using xml parsing)

8. then third api call will be to download actual file to your local and then opening with Dynamic input for further processing.

file download command: 

GET https://{site_url}/_api/web/GetFolderByServerRelativeUrl('/Folder Name')/Files('{file_name}')/$value

reference for sharepoint file commands: Working with folders and files with REST | Microsoft Docs

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

Can you share this workflow?

Labels