Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connect Alteryx Designer to Excel in SharePoint in Office 365

balajilolla1
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to connect to an excel file in sharepoint in office 365. However, when I enter the address in Sharepoint connector in Alteryx Designer, I am getting an error "Root not found". How can I connect to an excel file on Sharepoint?

27 REPLIES 27
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @balajilolla1,

Yes, you can connect to Excel files in SharePoint.  To find the filepath, open an Internet Explorer browser - it must be Microsoft Internet Explorer, this does not work in Chrome or any other browser.  Navigate to the Sharepoint folder that contains your file.  Under All Documents, select "View in File Explorer" (this will not be available in any browser other than Internet Explorer).  This will open Windows Explorer.  In the filepath it will show something like https://companyname.sharepoint.com > site > subsite > folder > subfolder.  Your path may be different depending on your company's configuration, but the syntax will be similar.  The path for the Input Data tool will be:

//companyname.sharepoint.com/site/subsite/folder/subfolder.../filename.xlsx  (dropping "https:" and adding a "/" in place of the " > "

It may be easier to copy the path from Windows Explorer and clean up the path in the Input Data tool.

To get the workflow to connect, you may need to be actively logged into your company's SharePoint site any time you run the workflow, especially if your company uses Single Sign On (very common).  Once it connects you should be able to select the sheet and input your data.

crimmbr
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you T_Willins - saving the day once again!

balajilolla1
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @T_Wilins. That worked

Sonja
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for that detailed description @T_Willins.

Following the instructions I get the following error message:

"Cannot access the folder xxx"

Any ideas what creates that issue?

Thanks,

Sonja

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Sonja,

We have been running into similar issues with SharePoint lately and have had some success using OneDrive.  There are issues with change accessibility with synched folders, but we have been able to work around most of those issues. 

Sonja
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the fast replay @T_Willins!

How does these work around work/ look like?

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Sonja,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  You can synch your SharePoint files to OneDrive, then the files will be available as if they are on a shared drive.  You should have OneDrive if you have Office 365.  Here is a link to how to synch files:  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/sync-sharepoint-and-teams-files-with-the-onedrive-sync-app-...

It can take a little trial and error to get this to work, but it may help.

Tomek
5 - Atom

This works perfectly fine for Alteryx Desktop but when I publish to gallery it seems that Alteryx does not have access. I added Alteryx Sever ID as contributor to my SharePoint.

Anyone had success with making it work on Alteryx Server? 

Mychele
7 - Meteor

Thanks @T_Willins!  The 'View in File Explorer' tip was exactly what I needed!

Labels