Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Confused on a macro

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hello,

I have built an r-macro to run like any of the predictive tools in the predictive suite.  Only, when I pull my macro onto the canvas, it reads the file I was using to test the macro instead of the new data I'm trying to feed through.  Can anyone tell if my macro input tool is wrong?

9 REPLIES 9
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @jbh1128d1 the file you've attached is a yxwz - an analytic app, rather than a macro, which will have the yxmc extension.  A macro requires a Macro Input interface tool to be able to read data from your workflow.  

There are some great resources in Help> Sample Workflows on building macros, as well as a Live Training about building an R macro specifically.

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

My apologies @CristonS.  I attached the wrong file.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @jbh1128d1 - when you run the macro as a workflow, what happens?  I cannot run it, since I do not have your macro input template file.  I get the error saying that cached meta data will be used instead.  Do you get the same message?  Try using a Text Input in its place?

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

hi @CristonS - it shows variables from my template file, not the variables in the new data set.  When I do choose some of the variables, it tells me no valid field were selected. 

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @jbh1128d1  I noticed that in your Drop Down tools, you're using the option to list values from Fields from Connected tool (your macro input template).  If you change that option to use Fields from Macro Input, it will display the values from the incoming data stream.

dropdown3.JPG

Thanks.

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Thanks @CristonS  - I did switch the input fields and it shows the correct data.  Now it says that no valid fields for 240 were selected. New one attached. 

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @jbh1128d1 in Action (23) you are selecting Update Value as your Action Type, with only "State_bucket" selected.  If you change this to Update Select with multi-select ListBox. that will correctly populate your Select tool (like you did with Action (16) for your Spline variables).

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Thanks for sticking this out with me @CristonS  - I appreciated the help.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You're welcome :)  Happy Alteryx-ing!

Labels