Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Configure Run Command tool to move a file

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

I have a number of files in a directory, some of which I'll process, some of which I won't, but all YXDBs. Once all of the files I want to process have been processed then I want to move them to a different directory (or maybe delete, still TBC). I can do this using the command prompt.

The difficulty I'm having is how to run the command prompt, how to configure the Run Command tool. Apparently it needs either a Write Source or Read Results, I can't think what these could be to run a command in the command prompt.

I'll actually be generating the list of files to move into a list and am comfortable using a macro to alter the Command Arguments to dynamically load the command line details. What I don't know how to do is to get actually get the Run Command configured.

Note I've seen this prior question on a similar note, http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Using-Run-Command-to-Move-files/m-p/8958, but I prefer to do the Run Command mid-workflow and not use the Events if possible.

Frustratingly I'm unable to upload my 19kb screen shot of the current Run Command configuration so to describe I have entered "cmd" in the Command section and the correct arguement in the Command Arguments [Optional] section, which gives the error "Either an Output connection or Input Connection is required"

20 REPLIES 20
AndrewW
11 - Bolide

You could pull all of the seperate files into Alteryx and merge them (I assume you mean union them together) using a standard Input tool.

ronh_allaboutgis
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, ideally was hoping save a step and not have to do this...

Ron

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

The >> should output (append) to the same file, as long as it's in the same directory. http://ss64.com/nt/syntax-redirection.html

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Thank you @s_pichaipillai for explaining how batch commands can be made AND ran in a single Run Command tool!

For those of you who came to this post to learn how to DELETE a file with the Alteryx Run Command tool, you can follow the exact same mold that @s_pichaipillai provides here, but change the Command field in the Formula to be: "DEL"+" "+[SourceFile]

I couldn't get the log part to work (the "> "' + [Engine.TempFilePath] + '\MoveCommand.txt"') so that is why I removed it from the above formula. Without any text file being created by the batch file, you will also need to clear the "Read Results [Optional]" configuration option in the Run Command tool.

Once you've made the above 2 modifications, the Run Command Tool should delete the [SourceFile]!

Important Notes:

1) If your [SourceFile] has any spaces in it, you will need to surround it with quotes. AKA use the Formula "DEL"+" "+'"'+[SourceFile]+'"'

2) Make sure you define your strings in the Formula tool to be long enough!

svora2
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have not used the Command Prompt tool before and am struggling to move my input file to another folder after the process completes.

I have attached the workflow - any insight / steps would be very much appreciated!

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

You attached some data in a spreadsheet.

My recommendation is to work through this article which explains how to move a file in Alteryx using Run Command.

If any of the steps aren't clear please let me know.

svora2
5 - Atom

oh, how silly of me! I have attached the test workflow and will also look into the link you sent. I am not sure how to set up the command prompt tool and I think that is the issue.

jnans
8 - Asteroid

Have you been able to do this as a batch process with multiple files? I have two directories that I reach in and union the directory as 1. I then want to move all files in both directories to one output folder. I want everything to keep its same name just be moved so that the original files are empty. I am getting very stuck with this even though it appears it should be a somewhat easy process

roshnimehra870
5 - Atom

I have been trying to configure the Run command but i get below error:

Run Command (14) The field "Cmd3" is too big (1073741823 bytes) for a flat file. The limit is 64K.

roshnimehra870_0-1635953121573.png

roshnimehra870
5 - Atom

i configured my run command exactly as you did but i get error:

Run Command (14) The field "Cmd3" is too big (1073741823 bytes) for a flat file. The limit is 64K.

Any help would be appreciated

roshnimehra870_0-1635953267129.png

Labels