Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conditional worflows create or uptade a table

Foxhound
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have created several worflows with same logic. 

First, I download external data from different sources, then I transform the datas and finally and integrate them into a Database.

So for each worflows, it was about creating a new table in a Database directly with the output Tool.

But, now, to uptade the datas. I don't need to create again these tables, I just need to replace and append the datas. 

So, It's going to be boring to modify for each worflows, and choosing in the output option : Delete and Append Data.

So, I am looking for a method to create like a conditional worflow with 2 parts and only one of the two parts will be executed :

1- One part would create a table if the table not exist

2- An another part would be executed and overwriting the data 

In this way I could save time, and for the next worflows use such a solution.

Thank you for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Foxhound ,

You can use the preSQL statement in your output data tool with a conditional query creating the table if there isn't any.

https://www.sqlitetutorial.net/sqlite-create-table/

Something like this:

CREATE TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] [schema_name].table_name ( column_1 data_type PRIMARY KEY, column_2 data_type NOT NULL, column_3 data_type DEFAULT 0, table_constraints ) [WITHOUT ROWID];

Be aware that this demands that you know your table structure.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Foxhound
5 - Atom

Thank you @fmvizcaino

So i'm trying you're solution but I am afraid of having to create the table and specify each columns manuelly.

I can have data with more than 100 columns,

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Foxhound ,

You can use the method outlined by  @fmvizcaino but wrap the entire process in a macro, you can then auto-create the dynamic elements of the SQL statement using the column names, then feed this into the macro to overwrite the pre-SQL statement. This way you can make the statement dynamic so you won't have to create the column names manually.

M.

Bulien

Foxhound
5 - Atom

Thank you @mcleavey

I am going to try your solution even if i am beginner and I am not familiar with macros.

Labels