Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional filtering based on one column value grouping and utilizing 2 columns as the co

JRendon
5 - Atom

Hello, my Alteryx friends,

RE: Conditional filtering based on one column value grouping and utilizing 2 columns as the condition.

I must be staring at this for too long, but I’m reaching out for some hints/suggestions on a problem I’ve run into that I can’t seem to get past. I am thankful for all the community help getting to this point. Some of the posts and their solutions ended up as “Oh, I didn’t look at it that way” or “Even, oh that was easy, why didn’t I do that.” I’ve learned so much and am very appreciative.

Ok, the issue is: I have an application that sends emails monthly for billing. The application has an ‘Account’ with an associated ‘email’ used to send emails to the customer. When an ‘Account’ has a unique ‘email’ (just one), that is easy to separate the two (thank you Alteryx Tool ‘Only Unique’) ‘successful delivered emails’ and ‘failed due to a bad email address.’

But when an ‘Account’ has multiple email accounts (Email A and Email B) associated with the account. I want to collect the Accounts that have a failed email.  So if you look at the pre-filter image. The boxes in Green represent the successful grouping of one ‘account’ email deliveries, and I don’t want to collect those entries. However, the ones in the Red boxes are the ones I want to know about. Of course, if this log contained a few 100 entries to filter through, I might consider doing this by hand, but the log is over 40k. So as you guessed it, automation is in order.

The post-filter image is what I’m trying to get. To represent an ‘Account’ with a failed email in it, I also want to know the successful ones within the account. So basically, the entire ‘Account,’ not just the failed ‘email.’

To me, the condition is if it has failed either by nothing in the ‘Delivered Date’ or there is a timestamp in the ‘Failed Date’ or the ‘Failed Description’ has content.

Any ideas? Am I making this too complicated, and it’s staring me right in the face? I appreciate the time that someone takes to look at it.

Jason Rendon

Example pre-filter:

JRendon_0-1630196959060.png

Example post-filter:

JRendon_1-1630196978374.png

2 REPLIES 2
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JRendon 

I did 2 step to resolve what you want to do.

1. Find the failed email and account
2. Find the whole account list

Step1

To find the failed email, you can use filter tool by using custom filter mode option.
The expression is as following.

IsNull([Delivered Date]) OR NOT IsNull([Failed Date]) OR NOT IsNull([Failed Description])

After that, you need to use unique tool to find the account.

Step2

You can use Join tool by setting specific field "Acount #" field.

The workflow is as following.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1630204521263.png

JRendon
5 - Atom

Thank you AkimasaKajitani,

I was way, way over Alteryx tool thinking it. I was going down the path of grouping, pulling out each account number then [insert way too many steps]...well you get the point.

This solution is so simple and as I look at it, it was staring me in the face. 

I love this community, thank you!

Jason

Labels