community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More
We will be upgrading the Gallery to our 2019.4 release this Saturday, December 7th beginning at 9:00am MT. We expect the outage to take last approx. 2.5 hours.

Conditional Summation

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have a database of people with unique distinctions in a separate column.  I'm looking to create a new column for the sum of people by distinction (i.e. Column C would be total headcount of people with distinction x, Column D total headcount with distinction Y, etc.).

What formula should I be using in the formula tool (one for each new column)? The count formula counts the words, but I essentially just need to count the number of rows.

Thanks!

Alteryx Partner

If I'm understanding correctly, by unique distinctions you mean that each person only has a single distinction. In this case, you could do a GroupBy on Distinction, then count on a unique identifier or something. From there, you'll have each row being a distinction, with a column for name and a column for the count. You could convert this to the format you specified using the cross-tab tool.

Labels