Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional Run of containers in workflow.

Pradeep66
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

I have a workflow which has 5 containers producing 5 outputs.

here is my scenario:

container1 has file 1 which gets union with history data needs to run every 20 mins. container2 to container 5 (4 containers) which writes 4 output files which needs to run once a day.

Shortly to put.

after the first run in a day these needs to get disabled with container 1 having file 1 getting union with history yxdb needs to get enabled.

all 5 containers to have enabled for first run of the day. 2 to 5 containers needs to get disabled after the first run of the day.

2 REPLIES 2
AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Pradeep66 , based no your scenario, it may be easier to separate out the containers into separate workflows and then schedule them accordingly thru the Server.  

Please see the article below for more thoughts on orchestration. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Workflow-Orchestration-with-Alteryx-Server-2021-4-and-...

If you do not have access to Alteryx Server, the orchestration you are describing is not possible with just Designer. 

If this helps resolve your issue, please mark this response as the solution so that others in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks.

n8rushton
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I actually wrote something very similar to this at a prior job. @AndrewSu is right on that this will require server.

This being said I understand your need to conditional run. So, I suggest creating either a reference file or table on the success run of each instance.

In the workflow, simply cascade your containers to where they are turned off unless a boolean is met to turn them on based on your requirements that you've listed.

Labels