Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Check out our powerful new search update! You can read more here. Please let us know if you have any feedback by creating a topic here.

Conditional Pathway option

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I think it would be useful to have a tool that allows for a true/false check to happen, and depending on true/false value of it, allow for only one side of the pathway to occur. This would be similar to an If else statement / filter tool, but a this tool will only let one pathway of the workflow to progress. 

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hello @leonwang,

The detour tool from the developers palette may be what you are looking for. You can actually make your data flow through one end, and if the condition met is not valid, go through the other.

A similar situation could you find with the filter tool. Data would flow though the true or false outputs depending on your condition again.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Highlighted
Fireball

Hello Leonwang, 

I think this would be identical to a filter tool with nothing attached to the "false" output . Could you explain in more detail how your idea would be different.   

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I would want something attached to the false output, so if it it's true it goes down the true pathway, and if false, goes down the other pathway. So having a filter will not work.

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I would want to connect pathways to both the true and false side of the filter tool, but block the output of one side when a condition is met/not met. The detour tool could work but then would it make my workflow an analytical app? I simply want to use it as a standard workflow.

Highlighted
Fireball

I still don’t understand, you can have something connected to the true and false of the filter  to accomplish “so if it it's true it goes down the true pathway, and if false, goes down the other pathway”.

Could you provide some sample data / parameters so I can try to build a workflow to assist you in this. 

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hi -

There is a blocking tool which comes with Crew Macros that might work.   This can conditionally block a stream of records.     You can use this in combination with your filter potentially if I understand your use case.

I've exported the workflow as a package here including the macro in question

Vantage_james_0-1581465411493.png

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I'd need it to take in the same stream of data, and based on a condition, it will affect the same stream of data differently.

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I will look in that! Thank you! If I were to create an app with this macro, and distributed it to others, would the macro still work for them or would I need to package it all together?

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Yes the macro will work -  either if you package it,  or you can place the macro in a shared folder and use a relative path so that its the same for each user.

Or just insist all your users download the crew macro pack -  they wont regret it!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Crew-Macro-Pack-2016-Q2-Release/ba-p/26482

Labels