Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional Multi-Row

LindonB
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Still trying to get a handle on the multi-row formula. I've got a dataframe where I have a column labeling whether there was a second client interaction within one day. I simply am now trying to return the first customer contact ID when a second contact was made. This means that, in the attached WF, I want to group on the name and return the last row's ID sequence whenever a value of 'yes' appears in the Second column. I'm having a bit of trouble with the syntax though. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hi LSB123,

I think I understand what you're trying to do, but I'm not entirely certain.  In your example would Andrew Jones have no results because he doesn't have any 'Yes' in the [Second] column?

See the attached workflow.  I didn't use the multi-row function.  Instead I filtered for the encounters that had a 'Yes' then used a Summarized tool to get to the earliest date, then joined it back to the original data.

Let me know if this wasn't what you were looking for.  There might be a way to do this with a multi-row filter, but this just seemed easier.

Thanks,
Ken

LindonB
8 - Asteroid

Hi khalbert,

Yes, exactly. This is certainly helpful! Unfortunately, filtering doesn't exactly work as if there is a meeting followed by a meeting the next day followed by a meeting the next day the second makes the third a repeat as well, as is the case with John Smith.

Here's how I ended up solving it. I added a multi row formula grouped on the name to take the ID - 1. I added no condition and didn't filter before hand. That basically added a column for the row prior's ID. Then I filered to only have the second interaction equal yes.

Thanks again!!!

Labels