community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Conditional Merging of cells

Asteroid

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any way we can merge two cells if the values are same in Alteryx. I am giving a sample case to showcase my problem. Consider this to be my input data.

IDNameSubjectMarks
1ZaidMaths95
2JohnMaths78
2JohnScience87
3TimMaths78
3TimEnglish90
4TinaScience98

So we see, ID and Name columns duplicating for various Subjects and Marks. Is there any way, we can merge the cells(rows) as shown below.

IDNameSubjectMarks
1ZaidMaths95
2JohnMaths78
Science87
3TimMaths78
English90
4TinaScience98
Alteryx Partner

Alteryx won't merge cells, but you could use a multi-row formula to blank out the value if it's the same as the previous row.

Highlighted

Hi,

Your best solution would be to use two multi row formulas and join the resulting data sets back together. I've attached a sample workflow for you using the data you've provided as an input.

If this solves your issue please mark the solution as correct and answered, if there's anything else just let me know!

J

Alteryx Certified Partner

Personally I don't like this idea because 'merging cells' is essentially a format mask; and you can't merge cells in Alteryx, but you can NULL() or blank the repeated lines, but again to stress, I really don't like the idea of this!

Also I'm not too sure your image has rendered how you'd like, I assume you want the subject and marks still to be aligned in those columns.

Here is an example of how you could do this anyway.

2019-03-18_11-47-17.png

Asteroid

Hi @BenMoss,

thanks for replying. Yes,my apologies, the output did not get pasted as it was supposed to. Your assumption is right.However, I was able to achieve till this point  in my workflow. Now, the challenge is to merge the cells as shown in the attached image. Right now, these cells are using up blank spaces, since it is null. Is there any existing workaround, to merge these cells?

Thanks

Zaid

Asteroid

Thanks @Jonathan-Sherman for taking your time out to work on this. Unfortunately, the expected output got pasted in the wrong way. Apologies for that. 

I don't believe you can merge cells in alteryx and am also struggling to understand why you would want to?

Asteroid

@BenMoss @Jonathan-Sherman I presume, that if the fields are merged it will be better for visibility and readability for the stakeholders, which led me to wonder if cells can be merged.

Thanks

Zaid 

I don't believe it can be done, when importing a merged cell into alteryx the text is effectively stored in the first row and the second will simply be null(). If you leave the cell as null the visibility will be just as good for your stakeholders, it would just take a little re-adjustment to see it that way.

J

You can merge cells for an HTML output using this post, but I do not believe it is possible for an xlsx output.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Merging-cells-with-the-Table-Tool/ta-p/11019...

Ben

Labels