Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional Formatting columns Issue

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am trying to conditional format by column via the Table Tool. Below is an example of the column with the equation. Upon running, i receive an output/error. Can you please let me know where i am going wrong, thanks.

Equation:

IF [Total Remaining Hours]<= 0 THEN "color: green;" ELSE "color: red;" EndIF

Negative = Red, Positive = Green

Output Error:

Output Data (1789) Max character width supported by Excel for a single cell exceeded, 47831 characters were truncated. fieldname: Table record number: 2

Data:

Total Remaining Hours

4 REPLIES 4
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi @AustinRiggs94,

I'm not sure how you were getting that error, but try using what I came up with in the attached workflow. I was able to get the conditional formatting by introducing two row rules.

Best,

mmenth

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The equation you listed, are you entering that into the Formula field of the Column Styling Rules? That formula is only to return a true/false value for the application of each rule.

I suggest you create two column rules: one for red, one for green.

20190304-ColumnRules.png

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the solutions, they both worked. However i am still getting an error while outputting to a regular Xlsx format (Output Tool). Does the table tool only output correctly via the Render tool? If so is there a way to adjust column width to "autofit" column width? Please let me know, thanks again.

mmenth
11 - Bolide

Ah yes you'll have to use the render tool to output with the reporting tools. As far as I know there is not way to autofit the columns, although you can play with the paper size/margins in order to get it as close as possible. I think the reporting tools actually make it a little easier in that regard as opposed to the regular output tool where adjusting column size is definitely not an option.

Labels