Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional Bifurcation

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi SME,

I have a list of County, City, State, and Zip Code.  I need to bifurcate the list into two categories - one based on one zip code mapping to one city (or same city with multiple zip codes) and the other on one zip code mapping to multiple cities.  

For example, in the first category, I would have the following:

OTMOne city to many zip codes
95916Berry Creek
94511Bethel Island
90209Beverly Hills
90210Beverly Hills
90211Beverly Hills
90212Beverly Hills
90213Beverly Hills
96009Bieber
96010Big Bar

In the second category, I would have the following:

MTMOne zip code to many cities
91748Rowland Heights
 City of Industry
 La Puente
96089Summit City
 Shasta Lake
91390Santa Clarita
 Agua Dulce
 Canyon Country
 Green Valley

I attempted to do this in a number of ways but always ended up finding exceptions.  Could somebody please help me figure out a better way to do this so that it's clean?  Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

kwl

9 REPLIES 9
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @knnwndlm 

Can you provide a sample output for both inputs?

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @PanPP ,

You can create a column showing OTM as the output for the first category and MTM as the output for the second category.

Thanks,

kwl

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @knnwndlm 

Please see if the attached workflow is doing what you need

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1672338139518.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0,

The total number of records coming in is 4297 - the same number in the top branch.  The top and bottom branches should add up to the same number of records.  I think the bottom branch is working - the top branch seems to pick up more records.  Think I just need to remove anything that shows up in the bottom branch from the top branch - not sure about the best way to do this.

Thanks,

kwl

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @knnwndlm 

Try this new one

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1672340822476.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Felipe_Ribeir0!

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0,

I just noticed that CABAZON appears in both lists because CABAZON has two separate zip codes.  However, I don't think it should have been the case.  Not sure why.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

kwl

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @knnwndlm 

This is happening because you have this ZIP_CODE associated with 2 different cities

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1672421735091.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Felipe_Ribeir0,

Is there a way that we can change it so that CABAZON only shows up in the MTM branch and not the OTM branch?  Not sure how to approach this.  I've attached a revised workflow to combine the two branches into one.

Thanks,

kwl  

Labels