Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Concatenating Text

arunchandra
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Happy Friday!..I am trying to join text ( first name,middle name and last name ) into a separate column with the first name ,middle name and last name seperated by a space...Can you please let me know what formula needs to be used to accomplish this in alteryx..

Thanks,

Arun

17 REPLIES 17
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Here is what I see you can do:

1. TRANSPOSE all comumns against the Machine No variable (as in the previous solution) so that all text is in one column

2. Remove the leading commas, where they exist via FORMULA.  One way to do this could be to use a series of IF formulas that evaluate the first character in the string.

3. Parse out the first string up to the first comma using the REGEX tool.

4. Reassemble the matrix using the CROSS TAB tool.

iceman
6 - Meteoroid

@derekbelyea

If you have a sample file that you can show me the flow and the output, it would be much be appreciated.

Thank you for helping me again.

hannahhanigan
5 - Atom

Where at do you create the concatenate? The logic makes sense, but I'm not sure where to actually create it at.

cbehret001
5 - Atom

Not everyone has a middle name.

I was running a Text To Columns to eliminate middle initials... IIF(Length([TempName2]) == 1, Null(), [TempName2])... so I wound up with some Nulls in the 2nd column and some Nulls in the 3rd column.

This longer version of Concatenate makes sure you do not have any unnecessary spaces.

[TempName1] 

+

IF (IsNull([TempName2]))
THEN ""
ELSE " " + [TempName2]
ENDIF

+
IF (IsNull([TempName3]))
THEN ""
ELSE " " + [TempName3]
ENDIF

Kok0
5 - Atom

Hi,

Hope you are doing good!

I want to know as to how I can add 2 cells in Alteryx.

clipboard_image_0.png

I have concatenated in excel but want to do the same in Alteryx, if you can please help.

Regards,

Bijit

cbehret001
5 - Atom

KoK0,

To concatenate numbers instead of adding them,

1) Select Tool changing any number columns to V_String so they can be treated like text not values.

2) Formula

[ColumnName] + [ColumnName]. 

3) And if you're concatenating words and need to create spaces, don't forget to insert in your formula:

+ " "

rshynn
5 - Atom

This was super helpful, thank you. I've seen this in multiple training modules but failed to piece things together.

franc1s
8 - Asteroid

You could do away with the summarize as Vishwa outlined in his answer by configuring the crostab tool as follows.

franc1s_0-1684151005345.png

Labels