Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concatenate fields with if else statement

fomenter
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a list of names that I want to concatenate them with a seperator (comma) (please see below), constrained to following criteria

1- Remove all dots spaces from middle initial

2-If there is no middle initial, it should look like Adam, Thomas  not Adam, Thomas, ---> No comma at the end

3-Same procedure applies to first Name . If there is no FIrst Name, just include last name with no comma

Expect outcome should look like below. Not sure If i can do it with formula function by using if else (or something else) statement. Any help is appreciated 

First NameLast NameMiddle InitialOutput 
TomJackD.RTom,Jack,DR
SkuraDaniel Skura,Daniel
TimTreakFTim,Treak
TimHoward Tim,Howard
 Simmons Simmons
4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Probably the simplest way is to use the Data Cleansing tool to remove the spaces and . etc as initial clean up step.

You can then use a formula tool to make the concatenated string:

[Last Name]
+ IIF(IsNull([First Name]) || [First Name] = '', '', ', ' + [First Name])
+ IIF(IsNull([Middle Initial]) || [Middle Initial] = '', '', ', ' + [Middle Initial])

You can do this in one step using the REGEX_Replace function to clean up:

REGEX_Replace([Last Name], '[^A-Za-z]', '')
+ IIF(IsNull([First Name]) || REGEX_Replace([First Name], '[^A-Za-z]', '') = '', '', ', ' + REGEX_Replace([First Name], '[^A-Za-z]', ''))
+ IIF(IsNull([Middle Initial]) || REGEX_Replace([Middle Initial], '[^A-Za-z]', '') = '', '', ', ' + REGEX_Replace([Middle Initial], '[^A-Za-z]', ''))

Sample attached

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

Thanks for sharing the + SIGN tip for concatenation.  I also appreciate the REGEX_WITH REPLACE. The second item is very useful and nicely explained.  

Parse Error at char(153): Malformed IF statement (Expression #2)

[LN_ID] + "-" + [GL_MATRIX] + "-" +
IF [HfsFlag]="Y"
then "HFS"
elseif [HfsFlag]="N"
then "HFI" else ""
+
IF [FvoFlag] = "Y" THEN "-FVO"
ELSE ""
ENDIF

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

Abhay,

This works and thanks for your help.   I removed the pipes ( || ) from my Teradata SQL and used the +.

David 

Labels