Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concat Column into one Row

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have a poll dataset that is formatted in a somewhat annoying way. How can I concat all of the following responses in the "When choosing a new physician, what information is most important to you?" column into one row separated by a comma. 

SourceDoctor IDDeviceWhen choosing a new physician, what information is most important to you
https://www.thechristhospital.com/physician-details?Provider=C21Q0VFETRC21Q0VFETRdesktopPractice location(s)
   Education
   Reviews/ratings
   Insurances accepted
   Years of experience
   Accepting new patients

Thanks for the assistance!

6 REPLIES 6
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @bryan_ram2613 

Summarize tool has a concatenation function to do what I think you're looking for.

Select your field you wish to concatenate and add using the option shown hereSelect your field you wish to concatenate and add using the option shown here

In your concatenated field, use these options to specify how to concatenating.In your concatenated field, use these options to specify how to concatenating.

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

nitinsnow
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

clipboard_image_0.png

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

@jrgoand @nitinsnow  I have tried this but I am running into errors because I have the same use case happening multiple times throughout the data set and it groups the blanks rows together. I attached an example file. 

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@bryan_ram2613 

See if the attached solution solves the issue. The YXDB you provided looks like it used a record as the headers so i copied the results into a text input tool using the default headers, i.e. Field1, Field2, etc...

image.png

Multi-Row tool is used to fill down the ID in the first column which is used as the grouping field within the Summarize tool. for the other fields, i just kept the FIRST and then concatenated that last field.

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

@jrgo That did. Thank you. Appreciate it greatly!

nitinsnow
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @bryan_ram2613 ,

Did some data prep and created the solution.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Nitin

Labels