Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compressing Data

kmcdowell
7 - Meteor

Is there any way to compress data in LAteryx?  I am working with large data sets and really need to compress the data for output.

4 REPLIES 4
ChadM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hello!

The best solution would be to write out your data to an Alteryx proprietary format, such as .yxdb or Calgary database.  A .yxdb file is already compressed and this would be a great option.

If you need to query the data in the future, a Calgary dataset would be your best option.  This would allow you to index and query a very large amount of data.  For more information, please check out the samples found under File -> Open Sample -> Data Artistry -> Calgary Tools. 

Thanks!
kmcdowell
7 - Meteor
Great!  Thanks so much for your help.  I will try that and look into the Calgary dataset option.
gioel_molinari
7 - Meteor
I would strongly advise adding the ability to read/write data to compressed csv file (zip) as an additional and more standard way to move large amounts of data in and out of alteryx. For example when working with S3 and other AWS database services like Redshift you need to feed these CSV ..
Devon_C_Miller
6 - Meteoroid

Additionally, please consider adding single-file compression such as gzip or bzip2.

Where can I submit an enhancement request for this?

Labels