Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Complicated Multi-Row Formula--Don't even know where to start with the syntax

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

I honestly have no clue how to even start this one.  Take the snapshot of my current Results pane as reference.

Results.GIF

I would like to add a column named 'Cohort' that is populated with a simple Yes/No.  The logic is if the value of schoolID is equal for both Winter 2017 and Winter 2018 for each personID, then a Yes is written.  Else, it is a No.

For personID=929, the schoolID for each of these rows is not equal, so a No is rendered in the final column of Rows 28 and 29.  The same is true for personID=934 because there is no row for Winter 2018.  For personID=1031, the schoolID field matches for both Winter 2017 and Winter 2018 and, thus, a Yes would be rendered in the final column of Rows 31 and 32.

I don't know how to reference a particular field value based on another field value.

Any gurus want to lend me some of their intelligence?

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think you can use a multi-row tool or a summarize tool to accomplish this. I've provided both in the attached. If you're situation turns out to be more complicated, then the logic may need to be tweaked.

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Owe you one.

The Multi-Row formula syntax was what I was after, although both solutions you provided look workable.  Sincerely appreciate the help!

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

I tried to apply the same logic to a similar, but separate, workflow but now it doesn't work properly and I am unable to determine the difference.  Here is the data set Results, without the final column populating.

Capture.GIF

I am still using the Multi-Row tool as 

Capture2.GIF

So, what am I missing?

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Disregard, I see my mistake.  Needed to change the Values for Rows that don't Exist to Null

Labels