Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparison

Nikkhil
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have a comparison between two sheets containing grocery items in the last month and this month.

The columns are - 

Name

Type

Rate

Quantity

The requirement is to know -

1. If there are any items that are added in this month list, it should be marked as "Added" in a new column in the final output.

2. If  there are any items that are updated for example, a change in rate or quantity, it should be marked as "Updated" in the column.

3. If there are any items that are removed in the previous month, it should be marked as "Deleted".

4. If there is no change in the item in this month list, it should be marked as "No Change"

Example

May -

NameTypePriceQuantity
Item AKitchen101
Item BToiletries303
Item CGarage404

June -

NameTypePriceQuantity
Item AKitchen101
Item BToiletries353
Item DGarden404

The output should be

NameTypePriceQuantityAction
Item AKitchen101No Change
Item BToiletries403Updated
Item CGarage404Deleted
Item DGarden404Added

I tried to achieve it through outer join between this month and last month but I was not able to find a way to add the action column in my final output.

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks!!

10 REPLIES 10
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Nikkhil,

Without just giving the answer, you are on the right track Joining the data, however you will need the data from all three output anchors for the solution.  If May is coming in the Left input then what does not join and comes out the Left output would be what is deleted.  A formula can help with labeling.  As for updated information you will need to compare the joined data to appropriately label it.  Then you need to bring all the data back together and format it.  Hopefully this helps.  Working through the data manipulation is the best way to learn Alteryx tools.

rahul_Kumar_koshika
7 - Meteor

Hi @Nikkhil,

I have built workflow which meet your end requirement. Please find the below attached workflow for your reference.

If your purpose as meet. Please mark it as solution

Thanks,

Capture.JPG

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Nikkhil,

Here is my take on your problem

comparison.png

PFA workflow. I hope it helps

Sapna Gupta
Nikkhil
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, Rahul and Sapna. It worked fine but there is a possibility that one item can be used in different areas and can have different rates and quantity (Apologies for not sharing this part earlier).

May -

NameTypePriceQuantity
Item AToiletries601
Item AKitchen101
Item BToiletries303
Item CGarage404

June -

NameTypePriceQuantity
Item AToiletries601
Item AKitchen102
Item BToiletries353
Item DGarden404

The output starts showing duplicate records.

Thanks!!

rahul_Kumar_koshika
7 - Meteor

Hi @Nikkhil,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please elaborate what you are exactly looking for. If you can share the expected output for the sample data shared by you.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Nikkhil,

Is this the output you are looking for?

comparison_change.png

I have updated the workflow to remove the duplicates, however toiletries appear two times once for item A and the other time for item B.

Let me know if this solves your issue.

If this is not the output that you are looking for, please share the expected output with us.

Sapna Gupta
Nikkhil
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, Rahul and Sapna for your help.

@rahul_Kumar_koshika - The expected output is same as what Sapna has shared.

@grazitti_sapna - Mine is a 2019.4 version and I am not able to import the package. Can you please tell me what are the changes you have made to address duplicate rows and I can make them at my end? Is there a way to make a workflow built in a higher version compatible with a lower version? 

Thanks!!

Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

To update the version of the workflow, you can open the file as notepad and update the version. Save the file and open as an alteryx workflow - you will be good to use.

Thanks,
Nez
Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | Sydney SparkED Contributor
Nikkhil
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Sapna,

It worked fine but when I added more columns to it, the duplicates started appearing again. Can you please tell me the logic you have implemented for removing duplicate rows so that I can extend the same to the newer columns?

Thanks!!

Labels