Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Comparing the 2 names

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

Dear All,

I'm in a situation where I need to compare two columns that contain the names of companies and determine how many match and how many do not match with the 'Matching Score'

Example:

NameName2
ABC LIMITEDABC LTD
XYZ PRIVATE LTDXYZ PVT LTD
123 PUBLIC LTD123 PUBLIC LTD

And needed a output as below:

NameName2Match Score
ABC LIMITEDABC LTD90
XYZ PRIVATE LTDXYZ PVT LTD90
123 PUBLIC LTD123 PUBLIC LTD100

What tool will generate this output, and how will it be configured? Kindly assist. I tried 'Fuzzy Match Tool' - but no luck.

9 REPLIES 9
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @ravikumar060987,

Here is one way to do this:

IraWatt_0-1658345204529.png

I check the example workflow here:

IraWatt_1-1658345241039.png

In there example they put everything on one column to match on companies. 

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt - Thanks for the quick update.

Quick clarification: Why is there a duplicate value? for the second and third rows, but not the first?

Hello @ravikumar060987 

I did it using Fuzzy Match. See below

This video also explains the process: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Archived-Training/Fuzzy-Matching-Intermediate-Users/m-p/43852

christine_assaad_0-1658345596619.png

Cheers!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ravikumar060987 ,

The Alteryx Academy is a great place to look for content on how to use some of the more advanced tools, like the Fuzzy Match , which will indeed give you what you want, but it is a difficult tool to master and will take some effort to learn.  Whenever I use it, I have to refresh myself on it using some of the great free resources Alteryx provides.

Here's just a few:

• On the tool itself from the join palate, you can click on it and select "Open Example".
  • HERE is a great video on the tool.
  • And HERE is a section of the Tool Mastery Index  which is also a great place to look for help on certain tools.

Hopefully this gets you on your way; cheers!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ravikumar060987 I think its because they have different match keys (I'm not a huge expert on matching):

IraWatt_0-1658345835871.png

However a simple summarize can fix it:

IraWatt_1-1658345877483.png

Fuzzy Match will create many rows based on the Match score to other names. That's why it's a best practice to sort  "Match Score" in a Desc order, then add a Unique tool to just keep the ID/name with the highest score.

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

@christine_assaad @ thank you for the quick update

However, I have the source date in a tool. And because the records are so large, switching to another input file is not an option.

Is there another way to get this done quickly?

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt  - That's the good piece of information.

Hi @ravikumar060987 

In this case you can use Fuzzy Match in  Purge mode. Purge is used for deduping when all records are coming from the same source.

The process will look similar to what @IraWatt  sent. It's attached as well.

christine_assaad_0-1658346820638.png

Labels