Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing data one field at a time

Deano478
12 - Quasar

Hi Everyone,

I've been asking a lot of questions lately but I feel that its better to ask rather than struggle. Currently I' comparing two different data sets one field at a time and its becoming very tedious.

In essence I'm basically recreating VLookups a colleague had done in Excel using the Join but since I'm doing it one field at a time I need to use a new Join every time as I cannot compare more than one filed at once. Is there something I can do to be more efficient doing this in Alteryx.

This might be stupid question but is there a way possibly enhance this and be more efficient. Cheers to you all in advance 

6 REPLIES 6
DenisZ
11 - Bolide

I guess you could use a macro to do it. If you could provide an example dataset then it would be easier to help.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @Deano478 ,

You might be interested in the crewmacro's. 

Especially the expect equal tool like discussed here:

Comparing Two Data Sets - Alteryx Community

You can download them here:

Chaos Reigns Within: Macros

Greetings,

Seb

Deano478
12 - Quasar

Hey @Sebastiaandb I appreciate the guidance on this matter because the manual way is getting very tedious. I'll read into the Crew Macro and see what its capabilities are Many Thanks 

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Awesome @Deano478 , let me know if it works for you :-)! Greetings, Seb

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @Deano478,

Depending on how exactly your data is structured and what checks you are trying to do you could always just transpose your inputs first, then join. that way you can potentially compare everything in a single operation.

As has been previously suggested if you can provide a sample dataset we can give you more specific help.

Regards,

Ben

Deano478
12 - Quasar

@Ben_H thank you this method was very helpful I was able to get my desired result and even put in a Cross tab tool to get my data back to a horizontal orientation when I had the workings done.  

Labels