Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing Column by Row Values

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi, at the moment, I'm trying to understand how to compare two values in two columns by row. Essentially, I'm comparing previous data to current data and identifying if there's a difference. The difference will then feed into a variance report and downstream from that. I know I can use the formula tool to complete a conditional statement identifying whether there's a change and if so how much but I wasn't able to duplicate my efforts with the multi-field formula. Attached is the data I'm comparing along with the output in the second tab. 

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I believe this is what you're looking for.

The goal is to actually get your values in a Name-Value format, with the previous and current values in different columns. That way you can dynamically do your comparison/subtraction. In this case, I separated the data, and used a union and transpose/cross-tab to do this. Once I had that, I used a formula to find the difference for the numbers, and a string comparison for F2. I used a cross-tab to pivot the data back.

Hope this helps!

echuong1_0-1612924043776.png

hroderick
8 - Asteroid

use formula to add a column with calculated previous date based on current date

yse a join tool with same input on both sides, joining on current date = previous date

on the joined rows, calculate variance in a formula tool

Labels