Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compare two tables and take difference of matches

jcyc
7 - Meteor

Hi, I am trying to compare two sets of data: Test 1 Scores and Test 2 Scores. The output result would be a table that shows the difference in scores between Test 1 and 2 for each individual.

The problem I am having is that on Test 2, a new person joined the class which means the person (Gene) did not take Test 1, which is ok. However, I needed the output results to show Gene's difference in test results is NULL (or blank).

I tried doing a Join on field "Name", "Age", and "Full time?" but it didn't work.

Here are my tables:

Test 1:

test1.jpg

Test 2: 

test2.jpg

Output Result Needed:

Output results.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hey jcyc,

Joining on Name, Age, and [Full Time?] is the correct thing to do, but then you need to union the L, J, and R exits from the join in order to bring in the people that didn't take test 1 or test 2.

See attached.  The formula tool is looking to see if a person missed either test 1 or test 2 and then puts a NULL in the test difference column. Else it subtracts Test 2 Score from Test 1 Score.

Thanks,
Ken

jcyc
7 - Meteor

Yes!!! Union was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!!!

tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Here's a solution using a similar join as you're trying right now.

computediffwithnulls.PNG

annzhu
7 - Meteor

What if I want the return of NULL to be replaced by a score? say the score of 2nd test instead of NULL? How to achieve that?

kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hi Annzhu,

It might get a little confusing to have a test score in a column that has test score differences, but this is how I would do it (assuming the person took at least 1 test):

For the [Test Score Difference] column formula:

if isnull([Test 1 Score])
then [Test 2 Score]
elseif isnull([Test 2 Score])
then [Test 1 Score]
else [Test 2 Score] - [Test 1 Score]
endif

This would put their test score into the Test Score Difference field.  In other words:

If the first test score is missing --> Use the Second Test Score

If the second test score is missing --> Use the First Test Score

Else take their difference.

Hope this helps,
Ken

annzhu
7 - Meteor

Thank Ken. Don't know how to apply the IF functions so  I used JOIN and treat L,R,J output differently, after that, UNION the result together. It might be a longer way? It could get the result though.

Labels