Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compare two log files

Wangwn
7 - Meteor

Any Alteryx tools for comparing two log files and idenfying the changes? There may be some addition, removal an revision between the before and after log files therefore the lines are off. Thank you in advance for your comments - Winnie

4 REPLIES 4
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Wangwn,

I use a Join tool for this. You need to prepare your log files in to the correct fields first though. In the attached example I have brought in 2 Alteryx Log files, and parsed to get the ToolId and Message, then used a Join tool to compare and find the differences. 

Hopefully that gets you further down the path. Naturally, you will need to customise and expand the module to deal with the things that will always be different like temp directories and times.

Wangwn
7 - Meteor

Kane, thank you for sharing your knowledge! The log file that I am dealing with doesn't have the sort of ToolID identifier, so I have to join the message/content only, is that correct?

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, normally in a log file you would have a couple of independent identifiers along the row... but if not, then you can just join on everything except the time...

Kane

Wangwn
7 - Meteor

Thank you Kane!

Labels