Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compare a field to a dynamic list of values

dansnyder
5 - Atom

I am building an analytic app which would allow user to select one or more possible values to filter a table. The filtering formula would be dynamic based on how many values user selects using the List Box component of the app. How do I use the interface tools to update the filtering formula dynamically?

Example: user wants to filter a table on 'customer' having one of a set of values. user selects 3 out of 20 possible customers. filter formula becomes [customer] = 'customer_a' or [customer] = 'customer_b' or [customer] = 'customer_c'. the formula would have a different number of comparisons depending on how many customers the users selects. 

I saw a solution here for dynamic filtering by a list of values using a join. This makes sense to me but I can't figure out how to connect the List Box selection to one of the data inputs to the join. Could there be a way to return the selection from the List Box as a table?

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dansnyder ,

can you provide some data and a mock up example of what you're after?

M.

Bulien

dansnyder
5 - Atom

I made a little mock up of what I would want to do. The disconnect is how I update the filter table (a text input) with the List Box part of the app.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@dansnyder 
I changed a few locations

1. Changed to generate custom list mode for Select Tools

2. Changed to Update Data for Action Tools

3. Add a Text to columns Tool to parse the list generated by Select Tool

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dansnyder ,

This is a case of understanding what populates each text field when updated by an action tool.

I've amended it to handle the updated values, and now you should be able to see the output.

Basically, when populated from a dropdown you are given all option with an =True, =False appended to it. You therefore need to handle the data accordingly before joining it back.

This should now work.

M.

Bulien

Labels