Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Commit to Alteryx DataBase through Alteryx

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hello Alteryx Champ,

I have connected SQL Developer to Alteryx and created a Table but i want to insert Data into the Alteryx which i was able to do using Text Input Tool.

After Running it was not writing to DataBase.

But in Alteryx we dont have commit option in Alteryx.

Can we have these Enhancement in Alteryx or is there any way we can do a Commit to Database through Alteryx

12 REPLIES 12
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Are you saying that you are unable to write back to a DB after the data comes in? Also you said you were bringing some data in through the text input tool, do you mean the "data input tool"

I think we need a little clarification before answering your question

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you post a sample workflow?  And clarify what you mean by "After Running it was not writing to DataBase".

Chris

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Well the Question i sSimple here.

In SQL We create Database and Insert into Database the values and do a Commit then only we are able to write into the Tables.

CREATE TABLE STUDENTS(

STUDENT_ID VARCHAR(7) NOT NULL,
STUDENT_FIRSTNAME VARCHAR(255),
STUDENT_MIDDLENAME VARCHAR(255),
STUDENT_LASTNAME VARCHAR(255),
STUDENT_CLASS VARCHAR(255),
STUDENT_AGE int,
STUDENT_SEX CHAR(1)
);
REM INSERTING into EXPORT_TABLE
SET DEFINE OFF;
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('V513674','ROHIT','TILAKRAJ','GUPTA','FIRST',22,'M');
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('R78192','VIKAS','TILAKRAJ','GUPTA','SECOND',23,'M');
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('N300820','SEEMA','TILAKRAJ','GUPTA','THIRD',24,'F');
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('R782193','MAYA','TILAKRAJ','GUPTA','FOURTH',25,'F');
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('S782192','AKSH','VIKAS','GUPTA','FIFTH',26,'M');
Insert into STUDENTS (STUDENT_ID,STUDENT_FIRSTNAME,STUDENT_MIDDLENAME,STUDENT_LASTNAME,STUDENT_CLASS,STUDENT_AGE,STUDENT_SEX) values ('R852741','GABBU','TILAKRAJ','GUPTA','PLAYGROUP',2,'M');

When you drag and Drop the Text Input tool in Alteryx and connect to sql Developer you will get the Tables Student you have created.

In the Text Input Tool Even you can write to the Table directly.

But when we run the workflow the data is not getting commited to SQL Developer.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

@rohit782192 can you provide a sample workflow?

You mentioned: When you drag and Drop the Text Input tool in Alteryx and connect to sql Developer you will get the Tables Student you have created.

But: are you talking about the Input Data tool, which is different from the Text Input tool?

You mentioned: In the Text Input Tool Even you can write to the Table directly.

But: neither the Text Input tool nor the Input Data tool writes to a table in a database.  Something is missing here.  Again, a sample workflow would help.

You mentioned: But when we run the workflow the data is not getting commited to SQL Developer.

I'm guessing your true need is:  how do you update data in Alteryx and write the updated data back to a database table?

Chris

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hello Chris,

Yes i want to update data in DataBase through Alteryx

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I have not used Alteryx to update a database.  I'm guessing there are some good tips if you search this community.

This post looks like the Output Data tool was used: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Updating-a-field-in-a-database/td-p/48...

When you click the Output Data tool in Alteryx, click the link for Open Example.

And here's the tool mastery article: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Output-Data/ta-p/30023

Chris

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Opps look like you dont have correct solution for me or alteryx need an Enhancement for the same.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hey treyson yes.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@rohit782192 You will need to have an output tool on your canvas. Alteryx can either create the table for you or you can output to an existing table. It sort of depends on how your table works. Alteryx has the ability to update/insert, append, truncate and append or drop the table and recreate. 

@ChrisTX's links to the tool usage are the best place to start. 

Quick Question I guess, do you have connections to your DB set up?

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Labels