Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining rows if criteria is met

ew87
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to create a new column that combines data from multiple columns & rows if certain criteria is met. I can't seem to accomplish what I need to do using the multi-row formula, although admittedly I'm still new to that function within Alteryx.

Here is a table of example data. The header represents the column names.

Project #Project NameStatusDetailsValue
15Project ALateMissing contractor1.2
15Project ADelayedPick RFP winner1.2
16Project BOn targetN/A.8

If the project number matches the project number in the row after it, I want to combine the columns & strings from Status & Details. If the project number doesn't match the project number in the row after it, I just want it to combine the columns within that row for Status & Details. Ideally the output would look like this:

Project #Project NameNew FieldValue
15Project ALate: Missing contractor
Delayed: Pick RFP winner
16Project BOn target: N/A.8

I'm not sure if this is not possible or just far exceeds my Alteryx knowledge. Any help would be appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ew87 

Would this work?

solution_1212.PNG

- Formula Tool to concatenate fields with ":" delimiter

- Summarize tool grouping by every field except the Status + Details field, which I concatenate with \n separator (new line)

WF attached.

Cheers,

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey; 

Yes this is possible in a few ways; I have used a formula tool, multi-row formula tool and summerize tool to achieve this.

In a situation where there are three rows in-a-row, with the same project # I have assumed that you still want to merge these into a single cell too.

Example attached.

2019-06-25_19-14-40.png

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution is pretty similar to that of @Thableaus though the solution I have provided will only group those with the same project #s and that are in the adjacent rows (Y) not sure if that is important or not

ew87
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus @BenMoss both of these solutions worked beautifully. Ben - appreciate the additional guidance on how yours differs. Helped me better understand the multi-row formula AND additional functions of Summarize. Really appreciate it!

Labels