Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combining multiple identical formatted files

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I attempted to create a workflow to combine three different sets of data(see attached excel workbooks that are entered into a standard template using the step by step explanation provided on the site but I couldn't get it to work. See attached excel workbooks.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets...

Essentially I need to have this setup so if I have 2 or 12 files I can combine them into one and then manipulate the data from there to sum the data in Sheet 3 by Employee Name for Columns C and L which will then be applied against another workflow and joined to the output date there.

I get errors like the schema in the 2nd file does not match the first or to select a sheet when I have selected a sheet. 

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mabdulh1 
I was able to read and combine all the data from Sheet3 of all 3 Excel Files, if that is what you need.
Please adjust the folder name to make it work.
mabdulh1.PNG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mabdulh1 ,

Just following on from what @Qiu posted, I've attached a workflow and a couple of macros I built that perform this function. The reason I've built these is the standard method is fine unless there's a slight change in the Excel file, which there always is because Excel is not a database. Sometimes there will be hidden characters or merged cells or for other reasons you can never spot, and it will determine that the schemas are different to the template you select in the Dynamic input tool.

Give this method a go and you should have no problems.

M.

Bulien

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

HI @mceleavey and @Qiu,

I was trying both methods but I am having an issue with updating my version to the most current version. I am working on getting it resolved but in the meantime I have been having issues either opening the workflows or if it does open the macros running with errors. 

I believe might be due to some funcitonality issues running it with an older software but im not sure. I for some reason still have 2019.3 on my computer. 

Any suggestions to continue to work until I am able to get my software updated. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mabdulh1 
Company policy sometimes can really be an obstacle.

Anyway, would be possible to install latest Alteryx on you personal PC and start a triial?

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

I need to share this workflow so I need a workaround for these macros. Is there any?

Would me creating this in my version work manually instead of copying it over?

Both solutions work but I am not able to update to the new version as the company has not cleared the new version to be installed yet.

Labels