Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining fields with same data

jrgreen
7 - Meteor

Here is my current situation. I have two excel documents, both formatted the exact same. One document is for 2017 and the other is for 2018. These documents list the Year, Month, Account number, Subdivision number, Division Number, Amount (in dollars), and the Account Description.

I am wanting to cut out the subdivision and look solely at the division level. Since these documents list the subdivision, each subdivision may have a balance in the Account description. So after removing the subdivision, via a select tool, there will be duplicates of the one account for the same division. I need to then combine all of the amounts for the same account for each division. What I have in mind will look something like this.

I am needing the top to look like the bottom.

Edit: The subdivisions for accounts 888 are supposed to be different. My apologies.

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
itestu
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

To combine your data, use a Union tool.

To get rid of the subdivision, I guess you can just use the Summarize tool to group your data by summing the amount grouped by Year, Month, Account number and Division Number. 

Irene

jrgreen
7 - Meteor

What special settings do I need for the union tool? I tried it and it didn't do anything.

itestu
Alteryx
Alteryx

If the columns of the 2 source files are the same (I mean same names) you can let the default settings. 

If the columns are in the same positions in the 2 files, then set in the drop box on the left : autoconfig by position. 

Otherwise, you can set the positions manually so the columns matched between the 2 files. 

jrgreen
7 - Meteor

I misread your first message, my apologies. This worked, thanks!

Labels