Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining data sets

RaulFinol
6 - Meteoroid

Good morning alteryx community;

I have been trying to solve and issue for the last two weeks and I am stuck. Hoping that someone would be able to shed some light on my issues.

I have 2 data sets. 

The first data set is my company's expense report data. it includes meals, hotel, etc.

Now i am being asked to bring in the full time employee data. When I create the two flows separately my numbers match perfectly, but when i try to combine them into one single output my numbers dont match.

Basically what i would like to do is bring in my entire FTE data which is based on cost center at the lowest level, and i do not want it to repeat if that cost centre booked more than one expense.

I am also trying to add the cost centre hiearchy so that i can do expense and FTE reporting at different levels of the organization

Attached is a picture of my current flow.

Thank you again for the help it is much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @RaulFinol 

This would need a analysis on data to see what it could be the issue.

I can see the last join you're doing is turning into a cartesian product. You're probably joining on duplicate keys or something like that.

So you can think carefully on aggregating data before joining your datasets. That might be something to investigate.

A proper answer demands us to check your workflow details and probably your data.

Cheers,

RaulFinol
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have tried to create a small sample data set.

Basically i need all of the field from the FTE tab. For example Org unit 11114 is not used in the expense tab but i would need it in my output so that the FTE number is correct.

If you need more data please let me know

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@RaulFinol 

I'm not so sure if this is what you want:

FTEJoin.PNG

Aggregate on Expense Data level (Sum amount of similar accounts) and use left join to get all results you need.

Workflow attached.

Cheers,

RaulFinol
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much;

that is exactly what i am looking for.

Now just have to apply to my larger data set

Labels