Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining data for the same ID on different rows into 1 row

jt1986
5 - Atom

Hi all, I have a problem where I want to combine data for some IDs which is currently in the following format:

ID1Question 1Answer 1
ID1Q2A2
ID1Q3A3
ID2Q1A1
ID2Q2A2
ID2Q3A3
ID2Q4A4
ID2Q5A5

What I would like to achieve is the following:

IDQ1Q2Q3Q4
ID1A1 for ID 1A2 for ID1A3 for ID1Blank
ID2A1 for ID 2A2 for ID2A3 for ID2A4 for ID2

So questions 1 to 3 are asked both for ID1 and ID2, I want to get those questions in the column header and the answers to them in the rows. For ID2 2 additional questions were asked, so I want them also in there, with blank cells for ID1 since these questions were not asked for this ID.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Your help is much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jt1986 
We can use a CrossTab to do it if I understand correclty.

0317-jt1986.PNG

jt1986
5 - Atom

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't want the exact text "A1 for ID1" to appear. What I meant is that on my initial row 1, there is this first question with an answer for ID1, that answer could be anything. On row 4 is the same question asked for ID2 with a different answer. So where the end result now says "A1 for ID1", I want to have the answer there in the third column first row of my initial data. Where the end result now says "A1 for ID2", I want to have the answer there in the third column fourth row of my initial data. Hope this clears things up a bit...

jt1986
5 - Atom

Oh no, its a little bit different, I've made an error in my initial picture. My initial table is not in split columns for Questions and answers, but is like this:

ID1Question 1
ID1Answer 1
ID1Q2
ID1A2
ID1Q3
ID1A3
ID2Q1
ID2A1
ID2Q2
ID2A2
ID2Q3
ID2A3
ID2Q4
ID2A4
ID2Q5
ID2A5

Sorry for creating the confusion...

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jt1986 

binuacs_0-1647513009672.png

jt1986
5 - Atom

@binuacs

Thanks a lot for helping! In this case the questions that are asked don't start with a Q, so that didn't work for me, however all questions do end with a question mark. That brought me to the idea to reverse your solution a little bit and so I used the formula "EndsWith([Field2], '?')" in the Filter tool. And then your solution works for me! So thanks a lot for helping out!

Labels