Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combining Multiple .txt files into one consolidated .txt file

NRD
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have a question in regards to combining multiple .txt files into one consolidated .txt output file while also maintaining their individual import specifications from the beginning even though they do not all have the same number of fields.

For context.... I have 5 different .txt files that I imported into Alteryx using the ~ (tilde) delimiter. They each have different import specifications upon import. I did several different operations on each of these source files individually through out the Alteryx process and I now want to bring them back all together in one consolidated .txt file while also maintaining their import specifications when brought into the Alteryx environment.

Any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @NRD 

Thank you for your contribution to the Community!

To help make it easier for others to assist, it would be helpful to get some additional information on your process. Here's what we recommend you include in your reply:

* What Alteryx Version are you using?
* Do you have a Workflow with sample data you can share?
* What about a Screenshot?
* What does the data look like? (Beginning data vs. Final Output)

Posting for Fastest Possible Solution (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Community-Resources/Posting-for-Fastest-Possible-Solution/t...)

Thank you very much!

Community Moderator
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @NRD - If you want to combine all txt files while also maintaining their import specifications, you may want to read them as text files without delimiters and output back as txt without delimiters. This is how you will read all records from all files in one column and preserve your import specifications. I attached a simple workflow that does it for you: 

ArtApa_0-1613779266267.png

Note that after you will run this workflow a TextOutput.txt will be created. You will need to delete it before you will run the workflow again.

Labels