Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining 2 Data Sets and Calling out Changes

adrian1713
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to compare an old set of data with a new set of data and want the output to call out any fields that have changed, whether that’s a change in value in a prior existing cell or new rows that have been added.

The Column headers will always be in the same order. (eg. First name --> Last Name --> Address --> Zip --> City)

The real data set contains 50 Columns but I am only looking to compare 8 of them.

There is not a primary key that can be used, so I was wondering if there was a way to combine the first name column and last name column and make the combination of the values (eg . Alex + Jones and Alex + Smith) the primary key.

For Example: Having the output call out changes made in each row in regards to Last Name, Zip, and City. (It would not call out changes made to First name and Address).

Old data:

First Name

Last Name

Address

Zip

City

Alex

Jones

123 Candy Ln

Chicago

John

Smith

245 Lake St

New York

James

Doe

1 Michigan Ave

Boston

Alex

Smith

111 Park Ave

New York

New data:

First Name

Last Name

Address

Zip

City

Alex

Jonesx

123 Candy Ln

Chicago

John

Smith

245 Lake St

New York

James

Doex

123 Michigan Ave

Boston

Alex

Smith

111 Park Ave

New York

Johnny

James

111 Lake St

New York

Output:

Row

Column

Original Value

Changed To

Last Name

Jones

Jonesx

Zip

Last Name

Doe

Doex

Last Name

James

Zip

City

New York

Thank you very much, I appreciate all of the help in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @adrian1713 

Here's an example of how I usually approach this:

1. Transpose both datasets
  2. Join on ID and Field Name
  3. Review the J output for changes
  4. Review the L and R output for additions and deletions

Luke_C_0-1651691053265.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @adrian1713,

I couldn't quite manage to copy all your values in so I just wrote a few, but the logic seems to work:

IraWatt_0-1651691104128.png

If you have any questions or issues with the workflow make sure to ask :)

HTH,

Ira 

DataNath
17 - Castor

The following works with the 2 tables you've provided, including the checks only on the 3 fields of interest:

DataNath_0-1651691429765.png

adrian1713
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone, thank you for the swift responses. I actually just edited the tables in my post. There isn't actually a column named Row, I just want the information to be called out with some unique identifiers.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @adrian1713 

Here's a solution that keys off the 2 fields you are not comparing, first name and address. Without a primary key this is far less reliable in my opinion, but under the assumptions that first name and address do not change between datasets, and that people with the same first name don't share an address, it should work fine.

Luke_C_0-1651692977627.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @adrian1713,

To get this to work I think you'll need a unique identifier? How do you identify which elements belong to each person?

IraWatt_0-1651693030822.png

Why not just add in a row ID to @Luke_C's solution using the record ID tool?

adrian1713
6 - Meteoroid

Is there a way to create an unique identifier by combining 2 columns, for example Last Name and First Name.

I originally wanted to use record ID but realized that there would be a problem if a new row is added in the middle of the data set or if the rows are reordered causing the rest of the data to be thrown off. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @adrian1713 

My solution creates a unique identifier based on first name and address (the two fields you're not comparing). I don't think last name would work since you're evaluating changes there.

Luke_C_0-1651693779342.png

Let me know if the solution above works for you.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Without spending a lot more time on it, I've managed to call out the changes. However, this is super bruteforced and wouldn't really be dynamic if you ever have the same first + last name and then the same changes occurring to them. You really need a Unique ID as stated previously. Have attached the updated workbook in case it's useful.

DataNath_0-1651695898623.png

Labels