Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combine two excel tabs into one

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

I have two inputs that are simple excel sheets that my group would like to be on the same sheet. I have tried a few things but none match the exact output. I have attached the data 1, 2 and desired results if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

Joe

3 REPLIES 3
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Joe_McCoy 

The tables need some common linkage. We already have the Emp no, and looking at your output, data 2 sheet needs to be added, in order, to data 1 sheet, matching on emp and job number.

The challenge is that the job numbers don't match. They're alpha in one table and numeric in the other. A Tile tool added to the Data1 table adds the needed numeric job number to the data.

Then a join tool matches up the data that matches from data 1 to data 2 tables (joining on Emp & Job #), and a Union brings the non-matches in too.

image.png

Let me know if this works.

Cheers!

Esther

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Esther! This was exactly what I needed. I replaced one of my recordId tools with the tile tool and all finished. I knew it had to be something simple.

clipboard_image_0.png

Joe

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Joe_McCoy 

So glad it worked! The Tile tool is a wonderful, and under-used tool, in the preparation category. I now always use it for internal numbering within groups.

Cheers,

Esther

Labels