Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combine Excel sheets with different column order

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

I need to merge an excel file with same data on all tabs but the column order is different. I did try dynamic input tool but it merged based on position.

12 REPLIES 12
alexvornsand
7 - Meteor

@Mario36 if you knew that you only one column of each of several data types, you could use the Field Info tool to identify which columns contain which pieces of information. Then you could join on the column types to a mapping dataset which relates column types to standard names, which would get you a crosswalk between your old column names and your standardized ones. Finally, you could use a Dynamic rename tool to update the names. This feels like a lot of work that isn't very generalizable, though. Probably it makes sense to re-evaluate the data at the source.

Additionally, in this example, you're going to have a hard time differentiating between your Cost and Quantity columns.

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

This helpful video from @robcarroll  provides great instruction on how to use macros for anyone not familiar.  It helped me after spending quite some time wasted on these treads.  Macros can be very confusing as far as steps and tools needed in sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjGxzsMJINQ

Eva
5 - Atom

Last year I followed the instructions in the video linked above. It was really good. Now I wanted to revisit it but it is no longer available. :-(
Why? Please bring it back.

Labels