Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Column width using Table Tool

ckestler
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to use the table tool to re-size my column widths in my outputted excel file. 

I've tried the suggestion on this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Publishing-Gallery/Column-widths-not-sizing-properly/td-p/647

because the question is exactly what I have tried, but it is not working. 

Also, is there a way, if I have a really long column, to not have it wrap around and make the column, vertically, really long? To just, like excel does, have it continue horizontally, just not showed in the initial view of the column? 

9 REPLIES 9
ckestler
8 - Asteroid

After playing around with it a little bit, I am able to widen the columns by setting the paper size to 'custom' in the render tool, but then each table stretches or shrinks to that width. Thus columns end up too small or very large. I would like to fix column widths based on how large I know the data to be. 

I though that maybe the per column width configuration was changing because of something to do with the join ->layout ->render sequence, but even when I just render one of the report tabs individually, the same thing occurs. 

AmyD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ckestler

This is actually a limitation of outputting to XLSX.

The reason is that all the different tables that may be in an output have to be combined into one "table" for each Excel worksheet grid. So, let's say you have two tables each with three columns, arranged vertically, and you set the top table's columns to 1", 3", 1" widths, and the bottom table's columns to 3", 1", 3" widths. Only one value can be used for each worksheet grid column. Which ones do we use? So, "widths" are just ignored when outputting to XLSX.

When rendering to different formats, .pdf for example, you will notice that the custom column widths will be maintained provided the layout size is correct. 

Thanks, 

Amy Davies
Community Moderator and Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
rwsarisky
7 - Meteor

Is there any update on this in terms of the ability to adjust column widths when using the table/render tools to ouput to excel?  I am struggling to automate a report because the description and comment fields in my report include so many more characters than the other indicator fields (project number, project title, etc.).  Any workarounds for formatting the column widths when outputting to excel?

LukaszKarpinski
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Can we have an update on this? Outputting multiple sheets (with different column count) to a single xlsx file is really frustrating and just looks bad. Given that it's probably still the most commonly used format in many organizations I think it needs a fix.Is there anything that can be done about it?

Kind regards,

Łukasz

coliva05
5 - Atom
Hi All, Following up on this thread, is there any updates? Thanks
ahulin
6 - Meteoroid

I found a quick workaround to make it at least presentable until the issue is fixed within Alteryx.  Add an image tool with a transparent png.  Add that image as the last column at the end of your table.  Within the image tool you can edit the width of the image.  This will force the other columns to the left.   Lastly in the table tool replace the name of the new image field with spaces so it doesn't show up in your output.

tfindling
5 - Atom

The reason is that all the different tables that may be in an output have to be combined into one "table" for each Excel worksheet grid. So, let's say you have two tables each with three columns, arranged vertically, and you set the top table's columns to 1", 3", 1" widths, and the bottom table's columns to 3", 1", 3" widths. Only one value can be used for each worksheet grid column. Which ones do we use? So, "widths" are just ignored when outputting to XLSX.

It is disappointing to see that .xlsx output tables will all ignore table widths instead of taking the first table's setting.

BobbySweaters
5 - Atom

It sounds like Alteryx has abandoned this. Not sure why it's potentially one of the most important features for many users that can avoid exporting the alteryx into another software application to get the desired results. 

jdoughty1
5 - Atom

So essentially Alteryx doesnt have real/precise report formating, I assume you have to export and format in a different application. Unfortunatley this is a show stopper for me. Im currently using Crystal Reports and formating is all built in.

Labels