Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Check out our powerful new search update! You can read more here. Please let us know if you have any feedback by creating a topic here.

Column width using Table Tool

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am trying to use the table tool to re-size my column widths in my outputted excel file. 

I've tried the suggestion on this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Publishing-Gallery/Column-widths-not-sizing-properly/td-p/647

because the question is exactly what I have tried, but it is not working. 

Also, is there a way, if I have a really long column, to not have it wrap around and make the column, vertically, really long? To just, like excel does, have it continue horizontally, just not showed in the initial view of the column? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

After playing around with it a little bit, I am able to widen the columns by setting the paper size to 'custom' in the render tool, but then each table stretches or shrinks to that width. Thus columns end up too small or very large. I would like to fix column widths based on how large I know the data to be. 

I though that maybe the per column width configuration was changing because of something to do with the join ->layout ->render sequence, but even when I just render one of the report tabs individually, the same thing occurs. 

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ckestler

This is actually a limitation of outputting to XLSX.

The reason is that all the different tables that may be in an output have to be combined into one "table" for each Excel worksheet grid. So, let's say you have two tables each with three columns, arranged vertically, and you set the top table's columns to 1", 3", 1" widths, and the bottom table's columns to 3", 1", 3" widths. Only one value can be used for each worksheet grid column. Which ones do we use? So, "widths" are just ignored when outputting to XLSX.

When rendering to different formats, .pdf for example, you will notice that the custom column widths will be maintained provided the layout size is correct. 

Thanks, 

Amy Davies
Community Moderator and Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
Labels