Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column rule missing after few days

Issac666
7 - Meteor

Hi Experts,

I had a problem, I add new column via formula, then defined column to those new column from formula, it run well for a while. after 2 days, when I open the workflow again, the column rule I have defined gone, actually all those new columns I cant see in table not even in missing status until I run the workflow again. is it a bug for new define column, always missing then I have to predefine new column in layout in a input?

6 REPLIES 6
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly, apologies if I'm not.

When you create an Alteryx workflow and then save it as a workflow file, only the configuration and layout of the tools are saved, not the data. That's why you have to Run the workflow every time when you make a change to the workflow or when you save it and close Alteryx down.

The data just lives in memory. If you want to retain the data, you have to save it to a file with an output data tool.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Issac666 

Can you post your workflow and enough sample data to demonstrate the problem?  If not, can you post some images of your workflow and what you mean by missing columns?

Dan

Issac666
7 - Meteor

In the configuration of the basic table tool, under the per column configuration, there used be for example 10 fields, some are dynamic from previous created by formula tool. the column from formula all gone when I open my workflow today which created few days before.

when I run the workflow once again, those columns appears. but all column rule for those columns gone.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Issac666 

Here's a workflow that I created that does something similar.  It builds columns dynamically using a Cross tab and then adds a new column in a formula. When I close and reopen it, the columns rules in table tool are maintained, even though the columns don't actually "exist" until after the cross tab has run.  What do you do differently in your workflow that might affect the metadata.  Do you have an Download tool that get the data?  Are your columns created based on the current date, so that after a few days, column names are no longer valid?

Posting your workflow and some sample data, or at least pictures of it would help us narrow down where the problem could be occurring

Dan

Issac666
7 - Meteor
The data is remotely read by input tool, and the remote folder is only available via VPN, I tried you workflow, put the excel to the remote folder, it works fine now just like mine, the created column is by formula like this, CC_rate is read from a YXDB file with input tool. ToString(Round(([CC_rate]*100),1))+'%' another possibility could other parallel steps run to error I guess, so the basic table failed to get the column created by formula(not executed to basic table) but I saved. let me see after few days if these created column gone or not on your example, and try to replicate.
Issac666
7 - Meteor

@DavidP@danilang 

I think I found the tricky here, when I open the workflow, if I didn't run it, I go to click the basic table for a view only, I wont find the column, then if I run if after I click the basic table, the column comes out, but the rule wont come out.

But if after I open a workflow, I don't click the basic. but directly run the workflow, then the column and the rule will comes out successfully.

kind of logic like if you try retrieve column(Just a click to the basic table) that not existing before run workflow, the rule will gone, not effective, if you first action is run workflow generate columns to basic table, the rule will be retrieve well.

Labels