Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column rename

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

If in a given column lets say I want to rename a particular group of events how can I do that by creating a new column.

For eg :- In a given column I have FETA-FETA as one grouping and need to rename it as Liquidity in a new column, how can I do that.

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If I understand your question correctly, you would use a conditional statement in a formula tool. 

In the output field, create a new column by selecting "Add Column" and then typing in the new column name. 

In the expression window, you would use a conditional statement like the below:

if [FIELD] = 'FETA-FETA' 

then 'Liquidity'

else [FIELD]

endif

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for replying.

I have used the below conditional statement

if [Transfer Agency] ="FETA-FETA" then "Liquidity"  else "blank" endif

however I am getting all blank in the new column

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Transfer Agency field would have to have exactly 'FETA-FETA' in it for it to return Liquidity. 

Try using a contains statement instead. Are you able to post a sample of your data?

if contains([Transfer Agency], "FETA-FETA") then "Liquidity"  else "blank" endif

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Thank you vm for your help, the conditional statement.

Now the issue that I am facing is that if I use conditional statement and contain statement in for the same field, the previous condition becomes blank.

Consider this,

First I am using

if [Transfer Agency] ='FETA - FETA' then'Liquidity' else 'blank' endif    - For this I am getting the desired result.

After this I am using

if contains([Business], "Institutional") then "Institutional" else "blank" endif   - while doing this the FETA-FETA becomes blank as well.

How can I avoid this.

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Can you please help on my query.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Nest all conditions into the same formula tool. Instead of using the IF x THEN y ELSE z ENDIF syntax, you would use the ELSEIF syntax. 

The reason why FTEA-FETA is blank is because the column is using the last set of rules. 

if [Transfer Agency] ='FETA - FETA' then 'Liquidity'

elseif contains([Business], "Institutional") then "Institutional"

else "blank" endif 

Labels