Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column Limit

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

I browsed the discussion forums but have yet to find a clear answer.  Is there a limit to the number of columns that can be Input into Alteryx?  I have over 400.  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Also forgot to mention that they are in a text file with a pipe "|" delimiter

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@robertfishel There is no limit, but your patience may get worn out once your column count gets into the thousands:) It saves metadata for each column, and alteryx can start to lag as you're building workflows when you have thousands of columns. In my experience, Alteryx won't have trouble with 400 columns. Certain tasks just become harder as you have to do a lot of scrolling as you're configuring tools.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@robertfishel

Using a series of generate rows and crosstabs I was able to generate 1(one) record with 10000 columns, but even just viewing the output in the browse tool takes about 4 seconds.  Any serious dataset will bog down way before then 

Dan

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Great to know.  Thank you both for your responses!

kuehner_DB
6 - Meteoroid

I was just hitting the maximum allowed number of columns at 32000. This limit was introduced in the 2022.1 Version ...

Labels